A few interesting bits and pieces we've come across this week.
- How a Web Design Goes Straight to Hell. Entertaining and educational cartoon from Matthew Inman at The Oatmeal. "It's funny cos it's true."
- Do Schools Kill Creativity? From TED Talks - Sir Ken Robinson entertains while making a very moving case for creating an education system that nurtures creativity. Highly recommended - if you watch one online video this week, make it this one.
- Is Google Making Us Stupid? What effect does using the Internet have on our brains. An article from a couple of years ago, but really interesting and more relevant now than ever.
- Ricky Gervais admits he may be wrong about Twitter. One for the Twitter sceptics: "I may have been wrong about Twitter. [...] Of course there are idiots on Twitter. But there are idiots on the high street and I still go there. People say awful idiotic things all the time, but I don't give up language because of it."
- A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy. A Clay Shirky article about groups, the internet and social software. Quite long but very interesting. A must read if your business is focused on online community (social network, discussion forums, etc).
If you have any suggestions or comments please leave a comment below :)
Here's an update for November to let you know what changes and improvements we've made around the site - and what's coming next - as well as a taster of the website training videos we've produced or have in production. Please give us your thoughts and suggestions on anything you think could make the site better for you!
We're continuously shooting more videos for you - here's a list of recently completed screencasts:
- CutAboveHost.com Website Review [FREE VIDEO - no membership required]
- Key Principles Behind Different Hosting Control Panels
- Setting Up StatCounter
- Setting Up Google Analytics
- Setting Up A Standard Gmail Account
- Linking to Particular Part of a Page (HTML Anchors) [will be online 2011-11-05]
- Read More Link in Blog Posts [will be online 2011-11-05]
And recently completed Expert Answers videos:
- The Hosting Business Explained
- Advanced Hosting Options
- How Many Is Too Many Plugins
- Why We Moved to Yoast SEO Plugin
On the way over the next few weeks:
- Show/Hide Content On A Page
- Installing A Picture Gallery
- List of Recommended Plugins
- Ecommerce Plugin Overview
- Backup Plugin Setup
- Yoast SEO Plugin Setup
- Westhost Hosting Setup
We've also made some improvements to the website itself since our last update:
- Completed our site move to faster hosting
- Made improvements to code and images to optimise page load times
- Design improvements on the Members Dashboard
Site improvements we will making over the next few weeks :
- Improving the layout of the category pages (e.g. http://www.selfassemblysites.com/cat...dating-content ) - to differentiate between video pages and blog posts
- Tidy up how Tags appear (on all pages)
- Add blog specific sidebar for blog listing page
- Add a new custom field to the videos which will tell you "How this particular video benefits you" (we're working on figuring out a better way to word that, it's a bit clunky, but we want to make it really obvious what result you will get from watching any given video)
- Reviewing the plugins we use on the site currently, ensuring we have everything we want installed
We will update this community forum thread regularly - feel free to add your suggestions and comments!