WordPress have released just WordPress 3.4 Beta 1. I've made a short video review of the new version, particularly comparing the v3.4 new features against a current WP 3.3.1 install.
"If all goes well, we hope to release WordPress 3.4 in May. The more help we get with testing and fixing bugs, the sooner we will be able to release the final version"
New Features in WordPress v3.4b1
Headline Feature: Theme Customizer
The Theme Customizer with a Previewer is the headline new feature. It replaces the existing theme previewer and allows website owners to customise the look of a WordPress theme before using it on the site. Previously you had to install and make a theme live on your site before customising it.
Other Front End Features
- Flexible Custom Header Sizes
- Selecting Custom Header and Background Images from Media Library
- Better experience searching for and choosing a theme
Behind the Scenes Changes
For technical users, there are some major changes under the covers:
- New API (programming interface) for App developers
- New API for Theme designers
- Performance improvements
- Internationalization improvements
- Ability to install theme from the WP.org Directory as a child theme
- Themes can now place page templates inside a subdirectory of their theme. (Read more about this from developer Andrew Nacin
I hope you find this video preview useful. If you like it please Like and Share, it helps us make more videos like this one!